Golden Sun Hacking Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A small community of people who enjoy tinkering with the code in the Golden Sun games.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Featured HacksFeatured Hacks  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux

Go down 
+4
JamietheFlameUser
Charon the Ferryman
Drick
Salanewt
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux?
Windows
Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux Vote_lcap43%Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux Vote_rcap
 43% [ 3 ]
Mac
Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux Vote_lcap14%Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux Vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Linux
Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux Vote_lcap29%Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux Vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
Other
Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux Vote_lcap14%Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux Vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux Empty
PostSubject: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Hello everyone, what are your opinions of these three systems?

I personally prefer Windows. Not only does it run all of my programs, but it is the only computer system that is advertising, and doesn't look stupid in the advertisements.

Also, I can understand it more easily than the others (Windows XP).

Have a nice day.
Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux 42741 Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux 861619

P.S. Where did you say the other emoticons were Charon? I can't seem to find that tab.
Back to top Go down
Drick
Wind Seer
Wind Seer
Drick

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:09 pm

I'd like to add my opinion to the OS argument.

EVERYTHING SUCKS. Windows just happens to run all the programs I desire.

Good day.
Back to top Go down
http://drick96.deviantart.com/
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Salanewt - Click on the dropdown menu on top of the emoticon list that says "View more Emoticons". Then select whichever set you desire (most likely Golden Sun PCs, because the default is Golden Sun Main).

ON TOPIC

Linux > Windows > Almost anything > Mac

I use Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty), but I'm thinking I might wait until the one that comes out in April 2010 before I upgrade (even though a new version's coming out in about two weeks), mainly because it apparently has extended service. Windows Vista is meh and 7 is too expensive for me... I really wish I could have either 7 or XP, 7 is getting great reviews and XP was great. But I'm stuck with Vista... and Jaunty pwns the crap outta that.

((Linuxes don't advertise because they're open source, silly!))

(Actually it's a good idea to have Windows if you plan having a Linux, because even though you can get a crapload of good open source software... it's pretty much only what you can load. Of course, there's WINE, but that doesn't always work either...)

This is Tech discussion so I'll move it there. :3
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:24 pm

Oh yeah... I never thought of asking my mom if I could try Windows 7 when she bought me the computer.

Anyway, in a long stretch of things, I would like to add...

Windows > Linux > Anything else > Very first Computer in existence > No Computer > Mac

Sorry Mac fans, but... I have reasons for this order in the chain of preferences.

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:25 pm

Mac > Linux > Almost anything else > Windows.

Of course, I haven't used Linux, so another possible order is:

Linux > Mac > Almost anything else > Windows.

The only reason everyone uses Windows is because everything is made for Windows, and the reason everything is made for Windows is because everyone uses Windows. It's a vicious cycle. XD

Which operating system did you use, Salanewt? Mac OS 7, 8, 9? Mac OS X is way better.
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:28 pm

I have never used or owned a Mac before, but I know that I prefer Windows.

Have a nice day.
Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux 527250

Oh yeah... This off topic, but remember how I made a character idea for Samantha? Well, I imagine her battle sprite to look like Sheba's, but with white hair and a white cape (and probably wielding a different weapon (and holding it differently)). Perhaps her hair is a bit longer too, like Jenna's.

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux 420551
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:31 pm

I can't remember what mac I was forced to use several years back, but I really hated its organizational style. Windows and Linux is far more straightforward than the little buttons and these weird interfaces and all that jargon.

The fact that to buy a mac computer is several hundred dollars more because it's got a big silver apple irks me as well. I really don't like supporting Apple - I think their business practices are kind of naaaasty (like the fact that most Windows programs that are bought are be made to be compatible with Macs, but not vice versa with programs like Garageband).
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:37 pm

Garageband?

Anyway, I simply like Windows for what it is. I would have considered also having a Mac if it weren't for some of the things that Charon said, plus the advertisements...

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:44 pm

You should actually try something before you talk about how horrible it is, Salanewt >_>

I don't like it because that's my opinion... you should really use a mac before you state an opinion...
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Yeah, but one or two of my friends have one, and I tried it out. I did not care for it.

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 10:06 pm

This reminds me of a bus conversation I had with someone when I took some antivirus software I'd bought home:

"Ha, you have to use antivirus stuff? You know, if you had a Mac, you'd not have to worry about that"
"Only because nobody cares about macs."
"Huh?"
"They target PCs because everyone uses PCs. If everyone used Macs, then Macs would have the problem. But hey, you can find everything on PCs, so sadly I guess virus risks are a small price to pay so that I can play my games."
"You know, Macs can play them too by emulating PCs."
"...Let me get this straight - In order to be as good as PC, macs have to PRETEND to be PCs? That's just sad..."

The guy got up and moved away in disgust... silly mac fan.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 10:18 pm

Macs are starting to get viruses with an arrogant attitude like that XD

Linux is one of the least prone to viruses, simply because so few use it. Ubuntu, the most used Linux, only has 10 million users, unlike Windows, which has at least over a billion (maybe even 2 billion!)
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 10:30 pm

True... the ONLY reason something gets viruses is because the virus makers are targeting whatever is popular. The only reason PCs are so prone is because they're so common.

That supid Mac guy? I feel like making my own commercial...

Ouranos Hi, I'm a Mac
Sean And I'm a PC

Sean Hey mac, what's that you're doing?
Ouranos I'm playing the hottest new game... you know, on a Mac!

Sean Uh... yeah... I remember that game... it was new, like, five years ago...
Ouranos Huh?

Sean Yeah... I mean, that game's pretty old... In the mean time, I'm playing THIS game...
Ouranos ...I hate you.

Sean Hi, I'm a Ma--PC!
Sean And I'm a--wait, what? Mac, why are you dressed up like me?

Sean Don't you know? I can do anything you can do by pretending to be you!
Sean ...Mac... that's just... too sad for words...

Ouranos Hi, I'm a Mac!
Sean And I'm a PC!

Ouranos You know PC, we Macs are much cooler and hipper than you! More "In Style!"
Sean That's nice and all, but can you do anything?

Ouranos Uh... I can look pretty?
Sean Anything USEFUL?

Ouranos Hi, I'm a Mac!
Sean And I'm a PC!

Ouranos Hey, PC, sucks that you get all those viruses!
Sean Yeah, I know, STDs suck...

Ouranos Wait, STDs?
Sean Yeah, don't you know? The more popular you are, the higher the risk that you get screwed by the wrong person. Don't you get those, Mac?

Ouranos ...no...
Sean Wow, sucks to be lonely, eh?
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 10:33 pm

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux 136198 Open Source FTW!

Wow, Role, the last one is just amazing.

Last edited by Charon the Ferryman on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 10:57 pm

Oh, lol, hahahaha! I like those. In fact, I just sent the text to my friend on MSN, and they love it.

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 12:46 am

I like the one where the Mac actually tells the truth "I can do anything you can by pretending to be you".

It's true, and useful.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 12:49 am

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux 136198 does it better.

Macs are nothing like PCs which is why I can't stand using them.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 12:51 am

The only reason Mac can't play the newest games is cause not a lot of people use Mac, and the reason not a lot of people use Mac is cause Mac can't play the newest games, resulting in a bad feedback loop.

And as for that thing about Windows apps having to be Mac-compatible? I'd like to point out Paint. And Game Maker.

I don't like PCs cause they are nothing like Macs.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 12:56 am

Not every program is that way, but usually the bigger ones, like Photoshop, need to be made compatible with Macs...

I really feel uncomfortable with Mac's menu style, with all those wonky buttons. Both Ubuntu and Windows uses dropping menus, and they're both similar in structure.

The real difference is that the desktop interface has a few tweaks and it's also faster, but can't run most purchased software.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 2:32 am

JamietheFlameUser wrote:
The only reason Mac can't play the newest games is cause not a lot of people use Mac, and the reason not a lot of people use Mac is cause Mac can't play the newest games, resulting in a bad feedback loop.

And as for that thing about Windows apps having to be Mac-compatible? I'd like to point out Paint. And Game Maker.

WRONG. They can't use them because it has a totally different format. Most game makers choose to build for the most popular platform to maximize their profits - and that is the PC. Very rarely will they make a game that works on both.

And you say that's your favorite part? Do you know how pathetic that is? A Mac isn't any more stable than a PC... PCs just have more STDs. That's the price you pay for being popular. Might I remind you that even though you can emulate PCs, you can't do so at 100% - macs cannot replicate the sheer power of a PC. Not to mention PCs are a HELL of a lot more customizable in comparison to Macs...

...Let me guess, you're gonna be one of those types the second Macs become the mainstream compy, you'll abandon it because it's not "cool" or "hip" enough?
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 8:17 am

Wow, Role... I understand where you are coming from, but some of that almost sounded kind of mean.

By the way, in computer terms, what do you mean by STD? I know what they are for humans, but...

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 10:18 am

...It's a joke. If you didn't get it, you never will.

As for why I'm being mean, it's because I'm sick of Mac fans treating me like crap just because I prefer PCs. I didn't have a problem with macs until a bunch of coworkers started treating my like crap over it back when I worked at Fry's...

Great electronics store to shop in, but I will NEVER work there again (and not just because of the Mac Jerks, ALL my coworkers - save one, whom I'm good friends with - were pretty much mean to everyone except the customers).
Back to top Go down
weckar
Wind Seer
Wind Seer

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Custom OSs ftw!
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 3:05 pm

Yeah, I understood the joke, I just thought that there might be a different meaning the way you were saying it (but I guess not).

Actually, I would call them STVs, not STDs for computers, or even ASTV.

Oh, that is kind of sad. However, all of the mean people in the world makes me feel good because I get to know that I am nicer than them. I know, I almost sound like a snob when I say that...

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 8:14 pm

Role wrote:
JamietheFlameUser wrote:

WRONG. They can't use them because it has a totally different format. Most game makers choose to build for the most popular platform to maximize their profits - and that is the PC. Very rarely will they make a game that works on both.

And you say that's your favorite part? Do you know how pathetic that is? A Mac isn't any more stable than a PC... PCs just have more STDs. That's the price you pay for being popular. Might I remind you that even though you can emulate PCs, you can't do so at 100% - macs cannot replicate the sheer power of a PC. Not to mention PCs are a HELL of a lot more customizable in comparison to Macs...

...Let me guess, you're gonna be one of those types the second Macs become the mainstream compy, you'll abandon it because it's not "cool" or "hip" enough?
Albeit a harsh way of putting it, I fully agree. Macs are considered better simply because of the way they're advertised - they're not usually preferred by a larger population, like Windows.

I like Windows because even though it's more susceptible to viruses, it is more of a useful system in a whole. Macs make me feel uncomfortable with their "hip and cool" design simply because it's functionality that makes a computer favourable, not the way it looks. Macs are like Abercombie - there's not much difference in quality, it's just that it costs 125% more.

Linux is good if you don't mind using inferior programs like GIMP (compared to Photoshop) and Open Office (compared to Microsoft Office series), which do most of the features those programs do anyhow but obviously much less in price. It's weak on the games side like Macs, but Linux is still better for three reasons - it doesn't favour appearance over functionality, it's a crapload cheaper (obviously) and the programs that are supported by the system are almost always free. It's also faster than both operating systems, and gives more power to the user (of course, that gives those who are stupid and inexperienced a higher chance of screwing up their computer by abusing the "sudo" command...). You can even change around a bootstrap like program's arguments to meet your needs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux Empty

Back to top Go down

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Golden Sun Hacking Community :: The Community :: Tech, Gaming, and Entertainment-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com