Golden Sun Hacking Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A small community of people who enjoy tinkering with the code in the Golden Sun games.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Featured HacksFeatured Hacks  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux

Go down 
+4
JamietheFlameUser
Charon the Ferryman
Drick
Salanewt
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux?
Windows
Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Vote_lcap43%Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 43% [ 3 ]
Mac
Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Linux
Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Vote_lcap29%Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
Other
Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 11:03 pm

Another thing I don't like about macs? They're annoying as hell to upgrade. At least with a PC you can replace individual components really easily as you need them. If you just need more space, get a new HDD. IF you're a hardcore gamer, but all you need is a better video card, just open it up and put in the new card.

They're easy to upgrade, and you can pick and choose what to upgrade, depending on your needs. I've never seen anything like that for a mac... I don't know if I'm correct here, but the overall lack of anything I've seen to other than peripherals for a mac seems to suggest to me that you have to replace the whole darned thing in order to pull off any upgrades to the machine itself.

Again, I COULD be wrong about that. I've never been to an actual mac store, just general electronics stores, but still...

Anywho, I do know for a fact that Macs suffer just as bad of crap that PCs go through. They're NOT more stable, rather, just about the same - just with a different name. I've got a friend who works for the Mac Tech Support... He's never met dumber people in his life. "I got a mac! Why does it not work exactly how I want it?" "...*facepalm*" I swear, Tech Support people have to be some of the nicest people on earth in order to sit through such stupidity, be it for PC, Mac, or otherwise. Oh, the stories I've heard....
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 11:32 pm

I find PCs crash harder, but I don't try to do anything fancy on my Mac. My mom's Mac, however, keeps screwing up, and freezing, and all that stuff. When an application crashes in Windows, I find it takes the whole operating system with it.

I have nothing against Windows users, I just use Macs out of personal preference.
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 11:47 pm

We understand Jamie, we understand.

Anyway, what would you be running on a PC that would make it crash hard (or is it an older one)?

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 11:59 pm

JamietheFlameUser wrote:
I find PCs crash harder, but I don't try to do anything fancy on my Mac. My mom's Mac, however, keeps screwing up, and freezing, and all that stuff. When an application crashes in Windows, I find it takes the whole operating system with it.

I have nothing against Windows users, I just use Macs out of personal preference.
If that's the case, you have the settings wrong. Most people just use default settings, beit on a PC or a Mac. More tech savvy people will be able to go in and make it so that when a program crashes, ONLY that program crashes, rather than it having a runaway reaction. That's how I'm actually running a VERY stable Vista, after all. Sure, it was hell at first, until I figured out what settings I was looking for, but I've not had it crash for over a year now.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Ubuntu hasn't crashed once since I got it :3
Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 136198
Of course, not to say it can't crash. I just haven't done anything stupid with it yet.

The thing that mainly pisses people off about Linux (besides it's incompatibility with many programs) is something brought upon themselves - abusing the sudo command so that they can play God. There are so many idiots who thought they were joking when they said that the 7 Deadly Linux Commands that tear apart their computer. :p

Windows? Well, I kind of figured out that using 25 programs at the same time, with 7 of those using 100,000 KB of RAM or more would cause a crash, lol
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 5:11 pm

Hehe, almost makes me want to buy a Linux to try to find more to add to the list (if they exist). However, I am not stupid enough to do this, so thank you for that list.

Yeah... I am almost always careful of how many programs I run. As for the internet, I normally have two or three open at a time (Yoshi's Lighthouse and My Assistant), while the rest are tabs. However, I normally only have one tab, which is this place (and a temporary tab of stuff hat I am working on/researching).

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 7:48 pm

I never have that many programs open. Who in their right mind needs 25 programs at the same time? Dood, overkill much? Just use what you need, jeez...

Meh. If there's one thing I really like about Linux, it's her corresponding OS-tan. I mean, Linux-tan is soooo cute! Joy
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Linux-penguin
What, Tux? XD
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 9:24 pm

...You don't know what OS-tans are?!

Tux is like the god/Odin figure, and the OS-tans are like his Valkyrie. At least, that's the theme I see with the linux-tans. There's different themes for different OS types, windows is like a family, mac is... something, dunno. Here's an example of linux-tan:

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 1152767977132

More linux-tan pics can be found here: http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/thumbnails.php?album=6
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 9:31 pm

I SEE GNOME FOOT :D... and I think GRUB? That's a bootleg-like program, you know XD You can change it to decide which operating system boots and how long it times out before booting a certain system.

Oh... lulz. I'm actually not that interested in that stuff, and looking through the gallery, most of it really doesn't interest me (although Kami-Tux and Tux Warrior (another pic) could actually make for some pretty sweet non-obvious cameo monsters in a GS hack *sweatdrop*). But I do have teh awesomez for a desktop:
Spoiler:
I'm no Jokertard, but you'd have to admit - that's teh awesome.

EDIT: I was looking through these as well, and I like them a lot. For some reason Fedora's reminds me of Lilly from SIII, minus the red feather.
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Joker? Oh, as in the card games?

Have a nice day.

I still think that...

Windows: Hello.

Salanewt: Baby your the top!

Windows: I have recovered your 50 page book that you typed over the weekend before I restarted due to a power outage.

Salanewt: Thanks! Oh! Baby! Baby I'm your bottom, and you are my top!
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Oddly enough, the most popular OS-tan is ME-tan, based off of arguably the most unstable OS of all time - Windows ME. I'd take a MAC over ME any day, which is sad, considering I'm me.

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Wp001
Bow down to your God, Charon!

Also, there's also things for programs... for example, MacAffee is typically portrayed as an old perverted doctor who needs to "scan" the OS-tans for viruses, and Norton is typically a younger, amateur doctor who fancies himself a playboy and isn't any better than MacAffee...
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 10:49 pm

Oh my God, do not remind me of my childhood tortures with ME... I had to use that for 5 years until my computer's power source gave in to its horrible design, sparked, and died.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Yeah... ME is defitely the worst of ALL the OSes, but those traits make her really popular in terms of the Moe Anthropomorphism that is ME-tan... a klutz, slow to react, often 'crashes' spectacularly, etc... really cute, but NOT when you actually have to use her for your OS...

Speaking of which, Windows 7 has an OFFICIAL OS-tan over in Japan! Ohh, I SOO want that japan-exclusive theme!
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 11:05 pm

From what I've used...

Jaunty > Windows XP >> Windows 98 > Vista > 95 >>>> some mac I was forced to use in 8th grade >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ME

Jaunty and XP are pretty close though. They're both good for different reasons.

Gee, how come I never knew about this -_-

We should definitely put in Kami-Tux as a cameo monster in our community hack. He's awesome, and not downright obvious.
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 10:15 am

So... What are these tans again?

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 10:31 am

...Wikipedia is your friend. Look up OS-tan
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 10:53 am

Okay, thanks.

Wait, doesn't Wikipedia sometimes have incorrect information? Oh well, I suppose I can trust it this time.

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 11:01 am

It only has incorrect info if someone's trolling. All you have to do is check for sources - so long as the info has a source, you're generally good. Wikipedia as a whole is quite reliable, though.
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 1:59 pm

Ah, makes sense... Perhaps I could start a topic about Yoshi's Magic and Yoshi's Lighthouse once it is out? Mwahahahahaha! It will of course be able to have a few sources, and...

Anyway, back on topic.

So, overall, people here like Windows, right?

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Vast majority of people like windows. Hell, even with all of Vista's flaws, it's still relatively simple to use once you get the hang of it.

I've got no experience with Linux, so I don't really have a say in the matter as far as its concerned. Basically, I go by the whole gamer's mantra - Don't dock it 'till you've tried it. In other words, if you've not tried it, you shouldn't be giving an opinion about it one way or another.

I HAVE tried a mac - my elementary school used them. I hated them.
I've used more recent macs too, and I still don't like them. Supposedly they're great for doing art, but not much else. If you're into gaming or need actual power behind your compy, you're better with a PC.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 5:18 pm

That I admit. I find that a Mac arrives at the webpage faster, but is slow to run flash content, while PCs take an AMAZINGLY long time to get there, but run flash and java content at a fast clip.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 5:40 pm

I think that the ISP also has something to do when it comes to that. Some ISPs are faster than others. So while the OS has a part in it, it's only a part in it...
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Flash is annoying to load in Ubuntu :p

It's one of it's "not very compatible" features... although websites load fine.

EDIT: I'm now working on downloading Fedora to try it out :3
Back to top Go down
Frog
Magician
Magician
Frog

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 8:35 am

While ubuntu does have issues, it's go nowhere near as many as windows.
...i've never tried a mac so i can't comment there.
Linux ftw!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux   Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Golden Sun Hacking Community :: The Community :: Tech, Gaming, and Entertainment-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com