Golden Sun Hacking Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A small community of people who enjoy tinkering with the code in the Golden Sun games.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Featured HacksFeatured Hacks  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)

Go down 
+2
Salanewt
Charon the Ferryman
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 9:07 pm

Of course we can, but remember, Sakuraba doesn't just make one kind of music.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 9:09 pm

No, but GS does have a certain style it follows.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Sorta, but it's still varied.

I think we should have more of a community based opinion. I inserted version 1 into a rom and it sounded quite teh awesome and fit a lot better than most songs, but you and I shouldn't judge for the rest of them ^-^
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 4:30 pm

How about this...

How are we going to determine what music is used when/where?

I like the idea of different overworld music for different sections of the world map (same with battle music). There's already basis for this - separation of land and sea. So we could separate different areas of the map and have a different theme play for them. For some recurring areas, like Air's Rock, we could have the battle theme there actually be Felix's Battle, as kind of a throw back to Felix's visit there. That way, we'd have a mix of old and new.

One thing I'm iffy on is just doing it plot-based. Doing a mix of two is nice - having regional themes, followed by a final theme during the finale. Basically, if GS2 had the GS2 overworld theme in some areas, and the GS1 overworld in others, then, after everyone joined up and you took off to light the final lighthouse, you had the climactic overworld theme that you got, I'd have liked it better.

That way, as you go from one area to the next, it keeps things fresh.

Also, since knowing WHEN to play music is just as important as what music to play, we should keep this in mind as we suggest things. Thus, why I posted this suggestion - hearing the same overworld/battle music during the whole game can get stale, so it helps to freshen it up every now and then as you go from area to area.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 5:20 pm

You know the music I posted earlier? Well, it would work well for Charon's idea of Alchemy torture chambers/experiment labs.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Jamie, it might be better to get the hard work of getting a large original soundtrack before we start thinking of ideas for songs from elsewhere, but it's still important, so keep it on your mind.

I ported Justicebattle into a TLA rom, and it does feel a little on the edge when it comes with comparability with the game...

I completely agree with multiple overworlds. The TLA overworld got really annoying... but maybe instead of using different overworlds in different areas... we could have several different overworlds played at different parts of the game. It would start innocent (like the Before Jupiter Lighthouse song), then become more serious, until later in the game it has a very urgent "save the world" feeling (like the overworld after TLA).

The overworld song change is initiated by flags, so it might actually be a bit easier to insert. Also, since Golden Sun's overworld is one big map, it may seem a tad odd for the overworld theme to change when walking around (unless we decided to only change it in areas accessible through mountain passes)

Anywho. I've done two more songs today. The first could replace Jupiter Lighthouse, and the second could replace the sailing song, but if you have better ideas, let them out. Also, if you have an original song, don't be shy! I really don't want to be writing all (or a lot) of the songs in the game -_-
Song 028
Song 041
Also, when I refer to "replacing a song", I mean replacing the song at that index. It does not mean that the song will replace that particular song in gameplay, because sometime we may be able to change the songs played in levels.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 8:24 pm

I don't think it's so much annoying as it is you're just sick of hearing it after so long. That's why I suggested it - to keep things fresh. After Isaac and Co. joined, it felt really refreshing to have a new overworld theme.

If we have two boats, like I plan in my hack (one that can go through rapids, one that can fly) then we should have one boat play the Karagol Sea theme, and the other play the Boat theme. If not, and we just have one combo boat, then I suggest one theme for one half of the world, and the other for the other half.

Because by the halfway point of GS2, I HATED having to get on the freaking boat...
Back to top Go down
Suzumebachi
Wind Seer
Wind Seer
Suzumebachi

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 9:03 pm

I have plans for writing some music a la Motoi Sakuraba, but can't right now, since my program has poofed along with my other laptop...
Back to top Go down
http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_Adepts_of_Weyard/index.php
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Two boats? Do you plan on using them at different times? Like, one is pitched after a while?

Personally, I feel that we should try to completely rewrite the music, but try to retain Sakuraba's style (we could also remix a few really, really good ones like the Kalay Docks). Golden Sun: The Lost Age used mainly new music with old songs mixed within, so I think we should follow that lead.

Suzumebachi: That would be great if you could get it working again. We should work together :D
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 4:22 pm

I like Justicebattle, but think it would be better as area music rather than a battle theme.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 4:26 pm

Well, in my game, only one boat can fly, and only one can cross rapids (basically, you can choose flight, or the ability to navigate places like the sea of time, depending on where you need to go). So you may start with one, and have two after a while, and which one you use depends on which one you need. I think it'd be easier to do it that way than by location, since... well, if you do it by location, how would you handle the transition from eastern to western sea?
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 4:38 pm

Track 28 is almost there, but instead of repeating the same vocal sound effects again and again, Motoi Sakuraba seems to expand on it. The other one, Track 41 has instruments that are far too high pitched.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 4:55 pm

Area music? That's the most interesting interpretation I've heard for it. Thing is though it's quite fast for an area music. It could possibly be more of a replacement of the Colosso Event song if that's what you're thinking.

The problem with 41 is the flute, actually - I might transpose the song down to accommodate that. If I lower the flute an octave, it sounds incorrect, and if I change it into an Oboe, it still sounds weird. I bet if I transposed it it would fix it.

Although... your comment on 28 kind of intrigues me... I might tweak it.

For the boats - dunno... keeping two at the same time irks me only because in order to use one you would have to leave the other behind, unless you plan on shrinking them like Skídbladnir from Norse myth... but there was only one Skídbladnir if memory suits me (it also can travel on both water and sea, so if you wanted to do a game with more Norse themes... I'd just go with one shrinkable floating boat :p). Also, wouldn't the flying one be used more often simply because it can fly over rapids? The only way I see that as useful during two times in the game if there's a place that's extremely craggy and has terrible waters, similar to the Sea of Time... But I just don't get how that's intended to be useful.

Your references to the Valkyrie and Freya thought you might be wanting more Norse themes, because the mythology is rarely used throughout both games, showing an obvious preference to Roman myth.

Maybe I'm not thinking hard enough :p
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 5:08 pm

Harder to maneuver in the air. Fly over rapids if you wanna risk smashing the boat to pieces! <3

Freya is a character from my GSDG, and yes, she is very Norse themed. Her final weapon is Mjöllnir! But, she's the only character who is. Also, keep in mind that those norse themes often are Jupiter element in GS... Thor, the Viking Axe, etc... they seem to all be Jupiter. I figure if we do have something Norse themed, it might as well be a Jupiter Warrior!
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 5:19 pm

I don't know, Justicebattle sounds rather like it would fit for some sort of cave or temple at times.

I've also noticed that Motoi Sakuraba has a tendency towards sticking rock undertones in the most bizarre places, take the Tunnel Ruins music for example.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 5:32 pm

But Role... hear my cry... Skídbladnir WOULD BE AWESOME
I mean it could be shrinkable and you wouldn't need to stop it at water and it could be upgraded to fly over things that the original boat couldn't and you could pop it out whenever you want and and and it would be sooo cool and stuff

Norse Mythology does not get enough love in GS. All they got were a few armour/weapon references and Thor. Jörmungandr would be an awesome boss or summon. You know, characters in Hinduism would be pretty damn awesome as well, especially the likes of Garuda, and Shiva would be one hell of an awesome summon.

Let's soon get back to the topic of the music, though. This is more of a plot based thing XD

You mean the Madra ruins, right, Jamie.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 5:43 pm

I think Shiva's Trident is the weapon used to destroy Poseidon, because you wouldn't kill him with his own Trident, and he's holding his Trident, and Indra is the name of a place in India. Anyway, no, I mean the Tunnel Ruins in the first GS, the area leading to Venus Lighthouse.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Interesting point! Heck, we could keep that and give the trident an alternative purpose for an alternative summon *starts laughing like a hyena*

Oh, that... um...*tries to recall TLA song number*... 86? I think that was Treasure Isle back in GS1 though...
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 5:53 pm

Track 88. Track 86 is Imil.
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 6:08 pm

Hm... As for the music idea based on different overworlds... I like this idea. However, I would mix the regular overworld music into different times of the plot. Also, I have noticed that some songs that should sound classical... Almost have an electric guitar in them, lol.

Also, Air's Rock is based on Ayer's Rock in Australia, and Chile is a country in South America. I think there are even more "references" to real life places. I wonder how many we can find? This gives me a good idea for a new topic.

Where was Chile mentioned in the game again?

I am not sure, but I think that the Sea of Time MIGHT be based on the Bermuda Triangle, but I kind of doubt it (not for name, but for some things, which will be stated in the new topic).

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 6:16 pm

Ahem.

Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 AxeMage-1
BACK ON TOPIC. NOW!

TNS seems to have some themes, though the ones I've heard sounds more like Megaman Songs, rather than GS songs... yet, he refuses to post them for some reason...

Either way, those, as great as they sound, won't work with GS. I'm still working my way through Charon's posted themes, so I'll get back to you once I've heard them all.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 4:40 pm

Like I said before, Justicebattle V1 = Area Music.

Justicebattle V2 is completely pwnsome, and it reminds me of Kirby later on in the song (when it goes all high-pitched). The high-pitched section isn't too high either. It also reminds me of Felix's battle theme somehow, which I guess means you hit the mark! On the other hand, it sounds almost too techy, so it might be better for battles only in a specific technologically advanced area.

Edit: I slowed Justicebattle V1 down to slightly higher than 3/4 time and it works pretty well as area music. On the other hand, the trumpet section needs to lose the "rising tension" note in the background. Also, I'd like it if different areas had different battle themes, depending on the area. That way, you use the slowed-down Justicebattle V1 for the exploration music, and Justicebattle V2 for the battle music in the same area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Golden Sun Hacking Community :: Hackers Corner :: Golden Sun Hacking :: Golden Sun Hacking Community: Community Hack-
Jump to:  
Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com