Golden Sun Hacking Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A small community of people who enjoy tinkering with the code in the Golden Sun games.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Featured HacksFeatured Hacks  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)

Go down 
+6
Charon the Ferryman
MaxiPower
JamietheFlameUser
Ehic
Sajin
Atrius
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Atrius
Admin
Admin
Atrius

New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) Empty
PostSubject: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Continued from the old topic

Happy 1st year anniversary, GS TLA Editor!

Exactly 1 year ago today the first version of the editor was released. To celebrate, I'm revealing the big new feature for version 0.3 that I hinted about a while back.

The way some of GS TLA's data is arranged is very peculiar, yet very helpful at the same time. At the end of the ROM file there is a large array containing various types of data ranging from graphics, to the games code itself. The new feature of the editor will allow you to browse through all of this data.

It's still in very early stages of development, so it will likely be improved before version 0.3 is released.

New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) GSTLA_editor19
Viewing a palette for a map

New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) GSTLA_editor20
A tileset, eventually you'll be able to load palettes with them so they aren't just black & white.

New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) GSTLA_editor18
A menu graphic

New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) GSTLA_editor22
A graphic for one of the Pierrot classes attacks. Despite not knowing what this was the data browser managed to identify at as being compressed, and decompressed it for us, how nice of it. Using the image viewing mode we can see the actual graphic.

New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) GSTLA_editor21
Using the Hex option (which will eventually be a full fledged hex editor) on the data browser we see some unidentified data here. To the untrained eye it just looks like a bunch of gibberish, but to me this looks a lot like map data, and that makes sense considering what it's surrounded by. The interesting thing though, is that the editor couldn't identify it as map data which means it isn't actually used in the game at all. Mmm... I do believe the unidentified data below it looks a lot like palette, and tileset data that isn't used at all either. Looks like despite having a map viewer, we still haven't seen all of the maps hidden away in TLA's data.

Also you may notice a value on the top bar of the editor, "1159.57Kb" or something around there. You may have also noticed that this was present in v0.2, but always read "0Kb" Well, now that the automatic repointing system (which assists in the editing of compressed data, ensuring it doesn't accidentally overwrite other data in the game) is finished and working, it keeps track of the amount of empty space in the ROM it has to work with. Golden Sun TLA in fact has 1159.57Kb of detectable empty space to work with, in contrast the original Golden Sun only has 67.36Kb.

Last edited by Atrius on Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://forums.goldensunhacking.net
Sajin
Magician
Magician
Sajin

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Wow, very nice Atrius! Your programming skills are simply amazing.
All this data is very interesting to view even if it isn't possible to edit it yet. Unused maps, palettes, sprites, who knows what lays hidden in Golden Sun...
Can't wait for 0.3!
Back to top Go down
Ehic
Magician
Magician
Ehic

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 2:27 pm

That awesome. I can't wait to see what can be done once this all editable.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 2:57 pm

@Atrius: That picture you said wasn't used? That particular piece of artwork IS used. It's the card from the Perriot's Frost Card Psynergy.
Back to top Go down
Atrius
Admin
Admin
Atrius

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 3:22 pm

Is it? I never actually used the Pierrot class...
Back to top Go down
Sajin
Magician
Magician
Sajin

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 4:06 pm

Now that Jamie says, it is the Frost Card psynergy graphic I think.
In game it doesn't look that way if I reckon correctly...Or does it?
I never used much the Pierrot classes, only at the beginning to fight the chestbeaters so I'm not really sure.
Back to top Go down
Atrius
Admin
Admin
Atrius

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 4:36 pm

It is surrounded by graphics for other attack animations.
Back to top Go down
MaxiPower
Wind Seer
Wind Seer

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 8:18 pm

Excellent work, great to see your still making great progress, you
willing to share any more secrets on what you been working on for this
historic day hehehe

+ Over 9000 thumbs up for this topic
Back to top Go down
Atrius
Admin
Admin
Atrius

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 pm

I believe I've worked all the bugs out of text editing. It'll still complain about letter combinations the compression tables in the game don't like, which is really annoying sometimes. I imagine it would make doing any type of translation work extremely difficult. It may be a while before those compression tables can be rewritten.

I've located how playable characters battle sprites are set.

I'm currently working on an LZ77 compression algorithm that I should be able to alter to work with some of the compression schemes the game uses.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 9:20 pm

THe LZ77 compression algorithm you're working on... will it allow us to change those graphics and sprites as well?

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Interesting to note though, the "hand" selector and the up-down arrows for djinn stat bonuses are compressed for the field view, but uncompressed for the status screen and the djinn release/set stat check in battle. I was quite surprised to notice this when I changed the uncompressed graphic...
Back to top Go down
Zach
Magician
Magician
Zach

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 1:42 am

oh wow, very impressive Atrius. I am looking forward to the release =D
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 11:21 am

Wow, very wonderful Atrius. Please promise us that you will never stop working on the editor until it is done, please!

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Ehic
Magician
Magician
Ehic

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 1:28 pm

I'm Really excited for text editing. Then when I edit my game I don't Have a bunch of new endgame spells called ???. Thank you very much for all your hard work Atrius.
Back to top Go down
Atrius
Admin
Admin
Atrius

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 2:02 am

Charon the Ferryman wrote:
THe LZ77 compression algorithm you're working on... will it allow us to change those graphics and sprites as well?

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Interesting to note though, the "hand" selector and the up-down arrows for djinn stat bonuses are compressed for the field view, but uncompressed for the status screen and the djinn release/set stat check in battle. I was quite surprised to notice this when I changed the uncompressed graphic...

Well... The LZ77 compression algorithm isn't much use on it's own, actually it's not even much of a compression algorithm at all the way I decided to format the output, It actually makes the data take up more space. The thing is though that I can take that output, and quickly & easily convert it into several of the compression schemes the game uses (while actually taking advantage of the space saving aspect of the compression formats in the process mind you), of which there are several. I've counted 8 different compression schemes so far (Including the one for text, and 3 specifically for graphics, not that they don't sometimes use the other schemes too). One of those I've just recently discovered when I found the backgrounds for battle, it's the only one I haven't written a decompression algorithm for yet. I can compress things into 4 of those schemes now, including the one for text, one of the sprite compression schemes (I have a second one figured out well enough that I could use it, I just need to get around to writing the code), and two of the more widely used all purpose ones.

The ones I haven't fully figured out backward & forward yet are rarely used, aside from the one for item/ability icons.

Err... I suppose I ought to actually answer the question you asked at some point. Yes, yes it will.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Awesome. Will importing new graphics be part of version three, or a future version? Because I really can't fork over $500 dollars for Photoshop and I don't like going to mysterious websites for illegal software either

YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT XD
Back to top Go down
Atrius
Admin
Admin
Atrius

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 9:09 pm

It probably won't make it into v0.3.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 6:51 pm

You know, it would be really useful if you could make the editor WINE (Windows Emulator) compatible... thing is, the program works, but since it needs to get all this information from the rom and the editor bg folder, the layout, it just appears black

Possibly make a version in which the text is Times New Roman and the graphics are stored in the program rather than pulled out of the game and the editor bg folder? It would probably then work in WINE.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 6:53 pm

I can't use it. If it worked in WINE, that would be great, but that would require it not using DirectX...
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 6:55 pm

It works fine in WINE except that no graphics pop up. I've been able to use menu options by clicking where they would be.

I think it would work if the graphics were stored in the program, like Advance Map (which works fine in WINE).
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 6:56 pm

It doesn't work in WINE on my Mac...
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 6:57 pm

Well that's because it's a Mac. Jaunty rules.

Does it simply not open in WINE? Or do you see the splash? Because I get the splash and a black window which I can use the menu for simply because I remembered where the menu happened to be.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 7:00 pm

It starts to load the program, with the backgrounds and everything, then says something about an error and shuts down.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 7:07 pm

You might want to post that error in the error report thread. It might be useful for Atrius... somehow. It might be something to do with either you computer's setup (plugins and drivers and... OH JOY!) or with the fact you may be using an older version of WINE that for some reason or another isn't compatable.

Again, I get it to load but it's black, even though the buttons work, so it's most likely a graphical failure that would be easy to fix.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 7:10 pm

I did that already on the old forum. I think it might be DirectX related.
Back to top Go down
Atrius
Admin
Admin
Atrius

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Charon the Ferryman wrote:
You know, it would be really useful if you could make the editor WINE (Windows Emulator) compatible... thing is, the program works, but since it needs to get all this information from the rom and the editor bg folder, the layout, it just appears black

Possibly make a version in which the text is Times New Roman and the graphics are stored in the program rather than pulled out of the game and the editor bg folder? It would probably then work in WINE.

Um... The editor doesn't have a ROM to get information out of until you load one, and it displays the interface before that. The only thing it loads from the ROM is the font for compatibility with language versions of the game that don't use a standard Roman font. Not only that, but the editor bg folder is entirely optional, it's only there so you can customize the background image if you so choose. If you deleted it you would just get a plain black background, but the interface would still be there, all of it's graphics are stored in the editor.

Besides all of that, if the editor can't load that information from the ROM, how could it load anything else from it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)   New Feature Preview Topic  (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!) Empty

Back to top Go down

New Feature Preview Topic (Happy Anniversary GS TLA Editor!)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Golden Sun Hacking Community :: Hackers Corner :: Golden Sun: The Lost Age Editor-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com