Golden Sun Hacking Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A small community of people who enjoy tinkering with the code in the Golden Sun games.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Featured HacksFeatured Hacks  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Editing midgame

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ehic
Magician
Magician
Ehic

Editing midgame Empty
PostSubject: Editing midgame   Editing midgame EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 2:17 am

How do I (is it possible) to edit my roms mid game without having to restart from venus lighthouse every time I change something. I am using VBA. I start a game and go through intro, then I save in game (not save state). I close VBA and open editor, then edit, and finally save over my old version. Then i close the editor, restart VBA open the recently changed ROM and it will load either my unmodified saved game or the modified version with no save files.

Can someone help me out please?
Back to top Go down
Atrius
Admin
Admin
Atrius

Editing midgame Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editing midgame   Editing midgame EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 12:25 pm

find the .sav file in your ROM directory for the unmodified one, copy it, and rename the duplicate to the name of the modified ROM with .sav still as the extension.
Back to top Go down
http://forums.goldensunhacking.net
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

Editing midgame Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editing midgame   Editing midgame EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 5:12 pm

Quick question - not 100 percent sure, but do your stats fix up if you gain a level? I've noticed classes fix up if you trade djinn but not stats...
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

Editing midgame Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editing midgame   Editing midgame EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 7:47 pm

No, base stats are probably saved as actual numbers. If you're changing base and level up stats, it will not effect your base stats. Otherwise, things like Hard Nuts and Cookies would never work properly.
Back to top Go down
Atrius
Admin
Admin
Atrius

Editing midgame Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editing midgame   Editing midgame EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 9:32 pm

True, there's also a level of randomness to how stats level up. You see, when the game calculates how much the stat is supposed to increase when you level up it's usually not a whole number. It will do an RNG calculation based on the fractional part of the number to see if it raises it by another 1 point or not since the actual stat can't have a fraction.
Back to top Go down
http://forums.goldensunhacking.net
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

Editing midgame Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editing midgame   Editing midgame EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 10:40 pm

Right. As such, the only thing you'll effect are the stat growths from the point of the edit onwards. If you want to get full results, you'll need to start all over.

Once we get a scene editor, hopefully we'll be able to just skip the whole shebang...
Back to top Go down
Ehic
Magician
Magician
Ehic

Editing midgame Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editing midgame   Editing midgame EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 12:25 am

I got it to work. Thanks for your help. I will keep that stat limtation in mind as I work on edit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Editing midgame Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editing midgame   Editing midgame Empty

Back to top Go down

Editing midgame
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Golden Sun Hacking Community :: Hackers Corner :: Golden Sun Hacking-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com