Golden Sun Hacking Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A small community of people who enjoy tinkering with the code in the Golden Sun games.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Featured HacksFeatured Hacks  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)

Go down 
+2
Salanewt
Charon the Ferryman
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) Empty
PostSubject: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Last edited by Charon the Ferryman on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Hm... Interesting. I am currently busy, or else I would try downloading it and listening to it. Anyway, I will probably work on creating a new song that would be useful at either Jupiter Lighthouse, or a dry, craggy mountainside.

Song coming sooner or later.

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Atrius
Admin
Admin
Atrius

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 6:22 pm

Did you make all of those Charon? If not don't forget to mention who did so they can receive proper credit.
Back to top Go down
http://forums.goldensunhacking.net
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 6:54 pm

Those are all original, actually. That's part of the reason why I want only original music.

I was thinking about doing an entire soundtrack, but it's seriously
difficult - besides, it's a community based project so I think that I
should give the others a chance to post their own midis.
Back to top Go down
JamietheFlameUser
Veteran
Veteran
JamietheFlameUser

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 7:30 pm

I don't have an original soundtrack, but personally there's a piece of music in Brawl that is not easily recognizable, and works well for evil experimental labs and such. It claims to be originally Metroid music, but I could swear I heard it in ToS: DotNW.

Metroid Data – Selection
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Either way, in order for it to truely be a GS, we HAVE to at least try to emulate Motoi Sakuraba's style of music. It wouldn't be GS if we didn't.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 8:05 pm

I think that using certain lines in his music...

OR STEALING MUSIC FROM THE NAMCO TALES SERIES SINCE HE DID LOTS OF MUSIC FROM THOSE GAMES LOL

Actually, in my own spare time, I inserted the Sylvarant Battle Theme as the Felix Battle Theme and the Tethe'alla Battle Theme as the Isaac Battle Theme, and it was surprising how well it worked out ^-^
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 8:19 pm

Hm... To make these, you used Anvil Studio, right?

Have a nice day...

^^^^^^^^^^^

I need to make a poll about this.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 8:23 pm

Well, since we need stuff for reference, which games did he do?
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 8:23 pm

There's all sorts of sequencers out there, actually. I use Anvil.

What's funny about music insertion with other games... is that I also inserted Ace Attorney Music (Objection replacing Aqua Rock - instead of using it's traditional instruments, I used a Kalimba and Music Box... and the other was Suspense from Apollo Justice for song number 58, which I used the original instruments for)... and it worked very well too XD

@ Role - Pretty much every Tales game - Phantasia, The Abyss, Symphonia, Vesperia... ect ect

Here's an entire list of his works (well, his works that were published as CDs - this is why GS isn't on here)
Progressive Battle 1988 (Dèja Vu, live compilation)1988
Baroque in the Future (Dèja Vu)1988
Pazzo Fanfano di Musica (progressive rock compilation; various artists)1988
Arcus II: Silent Symphony1989
King's Boards (progressive rock compilation; various artists)1990
FZ Series "AXIS"1990
Maneuver Cepter Granada1990
Zan Kagerou no Toki1990
Gikyokuonsou (solo work)1991
Beyond the Beyond Original Game Soundtrack1996
@Midi's Summer (as a guest)1996
Star Ocean Perfect Sound Collection1996
Shining the Holy Ark Original Soundtrack1996
Cyber Bi-Shoujo Telomere Original Soundtrack1998
@Midi's Dance (as a guest)1998
Star Ocean The Second Story Original Soundtrack1998
Star Ocean The Second Story Arrange Album1998
Force of Light1998
Shining Force III Original Soundtrack1998
Tales of Phantasia Original Soundtrack Complete Version1999
@Midi's Battle (as a guest)1999
Vanny Knights Original Soundtrack1999
Valkyrie Profile Original Soundtrack2000
Valkyrie Profile Arrange Album2000
Tales of Destiny Soundtrack2000
Valkyrie Profile Voice Mix Arrange2000
Star Ocean The Second Story Fantasy Megamix (arranged by Yoshihiro Ike)2000
Genso-maden Saiyuki Original Soundtrack Volume 12000
Mario Tennis 64 Original Soundtrack2000
@Midi's Freedom (as a guest)2000
Melody of Legend: Chapter of Dream (arrange compilation; one track featured)2001
Melody of Legend: Chapter of Love (arrange compilation; one track featured)2001
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children Game Music Arrange Tracks2001
Genso-maden Saiyuki Original Soundtrack Volume 22001
Tales of Eternia Original Soundtrack2001
Tales of Eternia "The Animation" Original Soundtrack2001
Tales of Eternia Remaster Audio2001
Star Ocean EX Original Soundtrack Volume 12001
Star Ocean: Blue Sphere Arrange & Sound Trax2001
Star Ocean EX Original Soundtrack Volume 22001
Tales of Destiny 2 Original Soundtrack2002
Weiß Kreuz Glühen Dramatic Soundtrack 12003
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time Original Soundtrack Vol.12003
Weiß Kreuz Glühen Dramatic Soundtrack 22003
Star Ocean Till the End of Time Original Soundtrack Vol.22003
Star Ocean Till the End of Time Arrange Album2003
Star Ocean Till the End of Time Voice Mix Arrange2003
Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile Soundtrack the Best2003
Pluster World Original Soundtrack2003
Tales of Symphonia Original Soundtrack2003
Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert "Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile" (CD & DVD)2003
Baten Kaitos ~Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean~ Original Soundtrack2003
Star Ocean Till the End of Time Director's Cut Original Soundtrack2004
Famicom 20th Anniversary Arrange Sound Tracks (arranged one track)2004
Star Ocean Soundtrack2004
Phantasy Star Online EPISODE I & II Premium Arrange (arranged one track)2004
Dark Chronicle Premium Arrange (arranged one track)2004
Pluster World Original Soundtrack 22004
Pluster World Original Soundtrack 32004
Mario Sports CD ~ Mario Tennis GC & Mario Golf Family Tour The Best2004
Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile Arrange The Best Plus2004
Tales of Rebirth Original Soundtrack2005
Radiata Stories Original Soundtrack (features three arrangements of Star Ocean pieces)2005
Duel Masters ~Birth of Super Dragon~ Original Soundtrack2005
Rogue Galaxy Premium Arrange (arranged one track)2006
Valkyrie Profile -Lenneth- Original Soundtrack (reprint of 2000 release)2006
Tales of the Abyss Original Soundtrack2006
Valkyrie Profile -Lenneth- Arrange Album (reprint of 2000 release)2006
Baten Kaitos II Original Soundtrack2006
FM Sound Module Maniax (composed one track)2006
Valkyrie Profile 2 -Silmeria- Original Soundtrack Vol.12006
Valkyrie Profile 2 -Silmeria- Original Soundtrack Vol.22006
Valkyrie Profile 2 -Silmeria- Voice Mix Album2006
Valkyrie Profile 2 -Silmeria- Arrange Album2006
Motoi Sakuraba Live 2006: Valkyrie Profile 22006
Tenshou Gakuen Gekkouroku Original Soundtrack2006
Tales of the Tempest Original Soundtrack2007
Trusty Bell ~Chopin's Dream~ Original Score2007
Tales of Destiny Original Soundtrack (PS2 Version)2007
Forest of Glass (solo album)2008
Star Ocean: The First Departure Original Soundtrack2008
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World Original Soundtrack2008
Tales of Vesperia Original Soundtrack2008
Infinite Undiscovery Original Soundtrack2008
Star Ocean: The Last Hope Original Soundtrack2009
Star Ocean: The Last Hope Arrange Soundtrack2009
yay wikipedia

Some songs from ToS and TotA I inserted into a GS:TLA rom, and they worked very well:
Sylvarant Battle - Song 48
Tethe'alla Battle - Song 92
Spirit Battle - Song 50. A video with the ported song for download
Sylvarant Overworld - Song 42 A video with the ported song for download; no actual gameplay but it's still extracted; Also, I changed the Brass Section to Polysynth after this video was made and it sounded more like the original
Confrontation (TotA) - Song 39
Golden Sun's music engine is downright amazing - I can insert every track perfectly while in most games I would have to trim tracks.

It's funny how well AA music works for GS though... just... lmfao (also Tierkreis works well too, but it's only with a few of the songs)

I know my style isn't a pure emulation of Sakuraba's... but do you think it would work in Golden Sun? Not only Sakuraba's work fits well, you know ^-^
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Well, to be honest, I think that the Golden Sun games are almost like early DS games, but for the GBA. The music is kind of advanced compared to what you normally here (in fact, I would like to see how Yampi Desert sounds at Mario and Luigi's Teehee Valley).

Remembering your guide on the ELF method, Charon, do you think that it is compatible with any game, or do different games have slight variations to this? I want to make a remix of the Doom Dragon theme with Mario and Luigi instruments (as well as a few new notes).

Have a nice day.

Edit: Actually, I can hear it in my ears now, and it sounds weird. Perhaps, I think i found a beta song in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (but I am not sure). Would it be okay if I can extract it, and then make it sound like Golden Sun music?
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Salanewt wrote:
Remembering your guide on the ELF method, Charon, do you think that it is compatible with any game, or do different games have slight variations to this? I want to make a remix of the Doom Dragon theme with Mario and Luigi instruments (as well as a few new notes).

Have a nice day.

Edit: Actually, I can hear it in my ears now, and it sounds weird. Perhaps, I think i found a beta song in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (but I am not sure). Would it be okay if I can extract it, and then make it sound like Golden Sun music?
Most GBA games use the same music format as GS does, which is where the ELF method goes into play. After finding the music table in the rom, you can easily extract tracks. GS's music engine however, which tells the GBA how to play the instruments, is downright genius and has my admiration.

Of course, you could be lazy and just go to VGMusic... XD
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 8:54 pm

Well, I think we should try to stay as true as we can in the community hack, using remixes that share themes with his music. For example, your GS remixes would work well.

However, for starters, I'm not a big fan of your Altin Mines replacement... it doesn't seem very GS-ish when you listen to it... And your Justice Battle is no Saturos Battle theme...

They seem too hollow for GS songs right now, there's just... not enough there. Basically, the songs need elaboration... they just sound kind of empty to me (the same reason I HATE the Jenna Battle theme... it just seems empty to me).
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Yeah, but the nearly exact Doom Dragon theme with the same instruments as Mario and Luigi might be odd... On the other hand, the Beta song(s) would sound great in Golden Sun. I could add more notes, etc, and then put it up here for reviews.

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 9:05 pm

Role wrote:
Well, I think we should try to stay as true as we can in the community hack, using remixes that share themes with his music. For example, your GS remixes would work well.

However, for starters, I'm not a big fan of your Altin Mines replacement... it doesn't seem very GS-ish when you listen to it... And your Justice Battle is no Saturos Battle theme...

They seem too hollow for GS songs right now, there's just... not enough there. Basically, the songs need elaboration... they just sound kind of empty to me (the same reason I HATE the Jenna Battle theme... it just seems empty to me).
If you write music, you realize that it's very difficult to add additional lines without making it sound too clouded. I can see areas that need improvement, however.

Also, I would like to point out that since this is going to be our own hack, we should try to give it our own feel to it. Thing is, most likely we're not going to have another battle similar to Saturos, but rather develop our own mood for a different battle.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Well, try this - Play that, then play all the GS battle music... and tell me if it seems to fit.

I don't think it does. It's a great battle theme, but it's not a GS battle theme...

I think that since this is trying to be a Golden Sun game, we should try to get it to be as close to GS sounding as possible. Sure, we can have our own flair, but if it sounds too different, the experience just won't be the same.

I'm not going to stroke anybody's ego on this, either... just as I demand honest critique on the things I make, so too will I give honest critique. And the music seems lacking, and out of place. A little too thematically different for GS.
Back to top Go down
Salanewt
Veteran
Veteran
Salanewt

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 9:14 pm

True enough. Besides, if this is truly a beta song that I would like to move to Golden Sun, then it probably isn't even a battle theme... I will see if I can record a video of it playing.

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Role wrote:
Well, try this - Play that, then play all the GS battle music... and tell me if it seems to fit.

I don't think it does. It's a great battle theme, but it's not a GS battle theme...

I think that since this is trying to be a Golden Sun game, we should try to get it to be as close to GS sounding as possible. Sure, we can have our own flair, but if it sounds too different, the experience just won't be the same.

I'm not going to stroke anybody's ego on this, either... just as I demand honest critique on the things I make, so too will I give honest critique. And the music seems lacking, and out of place. A little too thematically different for GS.
Hmm... I think I'll add some lines to Justicebattle.mid and make it have more of a fluid quality to it. I have the tendency to repeat lines throughout music as a sort of 2 piece fugue, so I'm thinking if I add a few 4 measure sections throughout the song it will give it more of a GS flow. The begining and the end are the weakest parts, so I'll start there.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 9:28 pm

Great. Post the V2 version when you get it ready. A lot of those songs you posted have potential, but thematically they just seem... a bit off. For example, the percussion in the Alternate Altin Cave seems a bit too heavy...
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 4:21 pm

Right now, a midi sequencer is difficult to set up in Linux, but I could possibly set up my 16 year old compy with 98 on it to load anvil studio, then work on it... with a freakin' memory stick XP

Justice Battle V.02, it's got more lines and it's faster with a heavy Timpani line.
A sad song for a cutscene.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 1:32 am

It does seem better, that for certain. But... I dunno, it's the style that seems off. Like I said, if you compared it to the battle music in GS, it just doesn't seem to fit. It seems like it'd be in a different game.

Now, it'd be great for a hack that wasn't trying to be part of the GS storyline, but for a game that's basically going to be a glorified, interactive fanfic like our community hack is? We need to try and stick as closely in style as we can.

Alternatively, we could have TWO community hacks... one for showing how you can mage GS-esque stories, and another showing how you can make totally different stories using the GS engine. The song would work great in the latter type of game.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 3:18 pm

The thing is, however, even though our story is based on a different time, there's no reason to why we can't have a completely new atmosphere to the game. It could have a different feel. The storyline is already developing to be quite a bit darker, and the music is to match with that feel.

I knew that the original Justicebattle.mid was lacking, but there's no reason to stick with GS's style completely. After all, Sakuraba has quite a bit of variety to his compositions (Justicebattle is actually quite a bit like Fatalize from ToS). Personally, I thought that the compositions (for the most part) were more adult and exotic sounding in the second game than the first.

To sum it up, we would be severely restricting ourselves if we wanted to have an identical style as the first or second game. Of course, there's no reason why we can't add some reworked songs in there as well... but new, different flowing songs were added into The Lost Age. Sakuraba didn't limit himself, and neither should we.

I think I should insert the song and play a few battles with it before we start drawing lines to whether it "fits" or not. I really like the song and don't want to give up on it.
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 7:39 pm

I disagree. If we're keeping with a GS theme, then we need to keep with one musically as well. If we're just using the system, then we're free to use whatever music we wish.

The song will fit with a game that doesn't try to be GS-like, but to one that is supposedly set int he future of GS, it's best to keep ALL the themes of GS - including the thematics present in the music.

Like I said, it's a great battle music... it just doesn't fit a GS story, though. If you were to make a totally different game, just using the GS engine, that'd work fine, though.
Back to top Go down
Charon the Ferryman
Admin
Admin
Charon the Ferryman

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 8:30 pm

I honestly think that we can try it, and if we don't like it, we can pitch it. Thing is, the music is dictated by the atmosphere for a game. A snowy level in one game may sound like a happy Christmas land, while another one sounds like a desolate wasteland, and yet another could sound like a lonely call for help.

If we're going to make our own GS, we'll need to make our own music, even though it won't sound completely like Sakuraba. :p
Back to top Go down
Role
Magister
Magister
Role

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 8:38 pm

We can at least TRY to emulate the style, can't we? I understand the bit with the ENVIRONMENT, but battles and environmental musics are different things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)   Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC) Empty

Back to top Go down

Music! (ORIGINAL MUSIC, NOT LICENCED MUSIC)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Golden Sun Hacking Community :: Hackers Corner :: Golden Sun Hacking :: Golden Sun Hacking Community: Community Hack-
Jump to:  
Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com